Monday, May 19, 2008

Plundering the pantry........

.......has anyone guessed by my latest entries that I'm trying really hard to only use what I have on hand in the pantry? Thus, some of the 'interesting' combinations. :)

For this recipe I'm about to share, I should really write apology letters to Marcella Hazan, Lidia Matticchio and heck, even Mario Batali. But, alas, there is no time-- so, sorry y'all! :) This is some super bastardized Italian going on here.

I'm a big lover of Canadian Bacon in all things. Particularly on pizza and especially on eggs benedict. It truly is the wonder meat. Alas, I had no CB on hand and subbed in smoked pork chops which provides the same smoky, rich flavour. Thus I give you this tasty recipe born of my salty/sweet combo cravings and pantry leavings:

Pasta a la Canuck

1 box whole wheat linguini
1 onion, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. red wine (or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar for a little punch)
1 28 oz. can crushed plum tomatos
1/2 tspn sugar
1/4 tspn pepper
1/2 c. chicken stock (or 1 tbsp tomato paste)
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
1/2 tspn Italian Seasoning
3 smoked pork chops, trimmed and roughly chopped
(or a whole small package of Candian Bacon, trimmed and chopped)
2 tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
salt to taste
Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Sweat onions and garlic over medium heat (careful not to brown) until translucent. Add wine and allow to simmer for a minute. Then, add tomatos, sugar, pepper, stock/paste, basil, Italian Seasoning and meat. Allow to simmer over medium-low heat for approx 1/2 an hour with the lid off. Add parsley add the end of cooking and salt to taste.

Also, towards the end of the sauce simmering, cook pasta. Strain (do not rinse). Immediately, combine pasta in dutch oven w/sauce and then serve up w/some fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :)

1 comment:

That Girl said...

When I'm intent on using up the pantry/freezer my meals are equally strange, but not nearly as appetizing looking!