Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Fusion Stirfry?


Note the question mark. Maybe I'm getting too big for my culinary britches. I'm not trying to be fancy, I swear! I was just following, as usual, the dictates of my VERY demanding tastebuds!

It all started with a basic recipe for Balsamic Chicken & Vegetables(from Fitness Magazine) and morphed into something different altogether. You can find the original recipe here. It ended up being something tasty, simple & healthful that hubs and I agree should be in our regular rotation.

Here is what I ended up with, palatable if not a little weird ;) I'm calling it:

Twisted Chicken & Veggie Stirfry
2 healthy servings

1/4 c. roasted red pepper & parmesan italian dressing
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 tspn. crushed red pepper (or a dash of Sriracha)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
12 oz. chicken, cut into strips (about 2 large chicken breasts)
1 c. broccoli florets, cut small
1/2 c. julienned carrot
handful of ripe cherry tomatos, seeded, cut small
2 scallions, green parts cut thinly on bias


Combine dressing, vinegar, honey and crushed red pepper and set aside.

Heat oil over medium-high heat (I used a dutch oven) and cook chicken for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove to a large bowl; cover to keep warm.

Add broccoli and carrot to pan. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until broccoli is tender-crisp. Transfer to same dish as chicken, cover.

Add dressing to pan (stand back or it will clear your sinuses!) Cook for 1 minute (or a little less) stirring w/whisk to scrape up browned bits on bottom of pan. Drizzle dressing over chicken & veggies. Sprinkle w/chopped tomato and scallion.


One dish wonder! :)
* Note to self-- add 2 cloves minced garlic in w/veggies next time.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

Most of my favorite recipes start out as an actual recipe, but I do so many twists and turns and substitutions that they turn into something completely different by the end.