I'm a big fan of chocolate layer cake, esp. devil's food and this blows anything I've ever had or made prior-- out of the water! It is slap-yourself-silly-delicious!
Chocolate Malt Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tspn baking soda
1 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
1 c. milk
1 c. malted milk powder
1 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tspn vanilla extract
Chocolate Malt Icing (recipe follows)
Garnish: malted milk balls (and I used silver dragees to make it more Christmas-y ;) )
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter & flour 3, 9-inch, baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add milk mixture, oil and eggs to flour mixture, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla, beating just until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on racks.
- Ice and garnish w/malted milk balls if desired
Chocolate Malt Icing
Makes 4 cups
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. malted milk powder
5 c. powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cocoa powder at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- In a small bowl, combine cream and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add cream mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed to combine. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.