Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Basic Risotto

This is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. In fact, I make it so often, I've deluded myself that I could impress even Gordon Ramsay w/my mad Risotto-making-skillz. Ha! :)

I wanted to include this recipe b/c I used some of my homemade stock in it. Thus, it might encourage some of you to make your own stock if you could actually envision using it! :)

I don't claim that this is an "original" recipe of any sort. Merely an amalgamation of literally 100's of recipes I've read and tried over the years. This is my particular favorite combo. You can also add precooked chicken and asparagus to this for a "one pot" meal! Delish!

Basic Weeknite Risotto-

1 large shallot, minced (you could do garlic & onion as well)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. white wine (I used a Gewurtzraminer I had on hand, I really like a reisling in it)
1 c. homemade chicken stock, warmed
2 c. broth, warmed
(you could just use approx. 3 cans of chicken broth)
1 c. finely grated parmesan cheese
squeeze of lemon
fresh chopped parlsey (optional)

Over medium heat, warm oil & butter together. In a separate sauce pan, have broth & stock warming. (* Remember to boil stock before using and prob. before combining w/broth).

Add shallot and saute until fragrant. Add rice and "toast" for a few minutes in the fat. Add wine and stir occasionally until absorbed. Add 2 ladles (approx 1/2 c.) of warmed broth/stock. Stir occasionally until absorbed. Repeat this process until rice is al dente. (usually until broth is gone, if you run out of broth, don't panic. Just add a little water, it won't hurt anything).

Add cheese, squeeze of lemon & parsley. Serve immediately! :)

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I'm still working on mastering risotto. It's an ongoing process.