Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Apple & Goat Cheese Clafoutis


Alot of the desserts you see on this blog are born of desperation. I am no baker, but it's amazing what I can whip up when the urge overtakes me. Like today, I literally have no junk in the house in a last ditch effort to shave off a few lbs for spring. However, my sweet tooth begs to differ and thus we have:

Apple and Goat Cheese Clafoutis
Courtesy Richmond Chef, Dale Reitzer
Serves 6

3 Gala apples (peeled, cored, and sliced thinly)- I had granny smith
2 Eggs
5/8 c. Sugar plus additional for sprinkling
3/8 c. Butter (soft, unsalted)
1/2 c. Goat cheese (soft)
3/8 c. Flour
Salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix sugar with egg, butter and cheese. Sift dry ingredients together, fold in with rest of ingredients.

Divide evenly into buttered and sugared non-stick pans or rings. You may also use a 9 inch springform pan(which is what I used) or cake pans lined with parchment paper.

Overlap slices of apple over the batter and sprinkle with sugar. You will use about 1/2 of an apple per clafoutis.

Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes for individual rings (35-40 minutes for the springform pan) until brown on top. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

2 comments:

Elly said...

Oh yum. This sounds delicious. I have been meaning to make my first clafouti for ages but I keep forgetting. This one looks so good!

That Girl said...

This looks fantastic! And it seems like it would be easy since there's no top crust...