Sunday, October 7, 2007

Tomato Soup

I'm in complete denial that it's 97 degrees outside today.
It's October! It should be chilly and I should be tending enormous, steaming pots of soup. Which is exactly what I did today. Had a craving for tomato soup and grilled cheese.
Is there anything better? (Ok, maybe chicken pot pie.......)
This is a nice recipe when fresh tomato's aren't available. (Who am I kidding, I love Ina Garten's guts when she says, "Life is too short to peel a tomato!" Amen, sister!)

Tomato Soup-

1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped (same size as onion)
1 carrot, peeled and chopped (same size)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can crushed tomatos
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatos
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1-2 c. heavy cream (I used 1 c. 1% milk and 1 c. 1/2 and 1/2 b/c that's what I had in the fridge-- I would encourage you to use all 2 c. of cream if you like a sweeter tomato soup vs. an acidic soup)

In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion, celery and carrot. Cook until tender, approx 5 minutes.










Add both cans of tomato, tomato paste, broth and bay leave. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.










Remove from heat, add desired amount of cream. Pulse w/hand mixer until pureed or puree batches in blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade until smooth.


Serve topped w/creme fraiche and chives as a garnish or grilled cheese "croutons."

Makes 8 generous servings.

TIP OF THE DAY:

I hate to waste anything, that even goes for the little bit of tomato paste left at the bottom of the can from this recipe. So, I scoop it out in tablespoonfuls, put it in a baggie, date it and throw it in the freezer. I'll probably use it the next time I make chili.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

This looks yummy. I want to try more soups this winter. This will be one of them!