Monday, September 10, 2007

Back from the land o'cotton.....

...and sweet, sweet Mennonite corn......

It had been a long time since I had been in touch with my true southern roots.
So, last week I journeyed to the land of my forefathers, Arkansas. Suffice to say, all I did was eat!







Our list of vittles last week included:

Fried Chicken
Venison, smoked in pepper bacon
Porterhouse Steaks
Homemade Lasagna (not exactly southern, but kickass just the same)
Macaroni & Cheese
Fried Potatos
Mennonite Sweet Corn
Biscuits & Gravy
Grits
Sweet Tea
Salad w/grape tomatos & peppers from my grandmother's garden

I ask you-- does life get any better than that?

My contribution to the potluck was fried potatos-- made in my grandmother's very own, well-seasoned cast iron skillet! Mmmmmm.....mmmmmmm.

There really is something to the thought that food binds folks together. I spent alot of time around the table this last visit, soaking up all the old stories, surrounded by my people and busily stuffing my face. I also have in hand a cookbook that my grandmother wrote upon retirement from her bakeshop. I'll have to keep y'all posted as I go through the recipes.

No comments: