Thursday, September 13, 2007

Chicken Noodle Soup & Biscuits

What better to do with leftover roast chicken than soup?

I kind of wing this, so forgive me if measurements aren't exact.
That's the great thing about soup, it's very forgiving! :)

2-3 Qts chicken broth
Leftover Roast chicken (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
2 small carrots, cut on diagonal, 1/4 inch
1 whole stick celery
1 cup fresh cut broccoli florets (I cut bite size)
1 cup+ (according to preference) whole grain egg noodles
Handful fresh chopped, flat-leaf parsley
Season to taste

You can make this in 10 minutes by throwing everything in the pot and letting it simmer together. However, I put in the broth, chicken, carrots and celery stick (which I pull out before serving b/c my husband HATES celery :) ) in an hour or two ahead on super-low with the lid on.
Then, 10 minutes before serving, I take off the lid, bring up to a simmer and throw in the noodles and broccoli. (Please leave broccoli 'til last as it will get mushy, and they will be a little mushy if you eat leftovers. But, if gives this soup great flavor!)

The biscuits, I tweaked from a Sarah Moulton recipe:

Cracked Pepper & Cheese Drop Biscuits
(Original Scallion & Cheddar Biscuit recipe may be found on foodtv.com)

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 ounces cheese, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups) -- I used colby jack I had leftover from a BBQ :)
1 Tbsp cracked pepper
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk (I used 1 Tbsp lemon juice and added enough milk to it to make one cup, let it sit for 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, cracked pepper and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in Cheese until lightly coated. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.

Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. (My oven took approx 16 minutes)

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

YUM! I have never seen broccoli in chicken noodle soup before but it sure sounds like a great idea!! I am starring this recipe. The biscuits and soup both look awesome.

Jessica said...

These look wonderful!