Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Grilled Lemon Chicken

I'd been holding on to this recipe for a couple of years now, always knowing I would eventually try it. It's the only recipe unused to last this long in my stack of "To Try" recipes :) And boy am I glad I kept it!

This recipe is really delicious and gives my favorite store bought marinade a run for it's money. I'm not keen on overpowering citrus though and would knock back the lemon zest and juice to half of what is asked for here. But, overall a keeper recipe!

Grilled Lemon Chicken
Gourmet June 2005

Food Editor: Melissa Roberts-Matar Father: Richard Roberts, Monsey, NYSummer and my father's grilled lemon chicken are synonymous for me. Like the alphabet-shaped pancakes he cooked on weekend mornings, this is a signature creation, and one he perfected over time.
The chicken picks up a bright citrus flavor in an unusual marinade made with lemon, oil, and egg. Dad likes to serve it with homemade potato salad and iced tea spiked with mint leaves.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil(I used canola)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 (3 1/2-lb) chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces (I used chicken breast filets)


Make marinade:
Combine all ingredients except chicken in a blender and blend until emulsified.
Prepare chicken:Put chicken pieces in a nonreactive bowl or dish or a large sealable plastic bag.Add marinade and turn chicken once or twice to coat. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours(I did overnite). Bring chicken to room temperature 30 minutes before grilling and discard marinade.

To cook chicken using a gas grill:
Preheat all burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then adjust heat to moderately high.Sear chicken on lightly oiled grill rack, uncovered, turning over once, until well browned, 4 to 8 minutes total. Turn off 1 burner (middle burner if there are 3) and arrange chicken on rack above shut-off burner. Cook, covered with lid and turning over occasionally, until just cooked through, about 12 minutes for wings, 18 to 20 minutes for breasts, and 20 to 28 minutes for dark meat. Transfer chicken as cooked to a platter.


Cooks' notes:• Chicken can be marinated up to 24 hours.• If you aren't able to grill outdoors, chicken can be seared in batches in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken as seared to a large baking pan and bake, skin sides up, in middle of a preheated 375°F oven until just cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

This looks so easy!

Ally said...

Yum, I love the combination of the marinade ingredients. And those are some good looking grill marks!

~Amber~ said...

I love me some chicken and grill season is right around the corner! It looks awesome, I can't wait to try it.