Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bella's Rigatoni Bolognese


I think it's pretty obvious from my recent posts, I've been on an Italian kick :) So, I thought, why stop now? I was craving some serious red sauce today. So, I threw together my basic weeknight bolognese. I don't think it's very original, but I certainly don't follow any recipe from a book. Always satisfies!

1 lb rigatoni, cooked to al dente
Olive Oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb sweet turkey italian sausage
1/2 lb hot turkey italian sausage
1 28 oz can crushed good plum tomatos
1 tbsp good tomato paste
1/2 c. fresh chopped basil
1/4 c. fresh chopped italian parsley
Large pinch dried oregano
1/2 - 1 tspn of crushed fennel seeds
Salt
Pepper
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat olive oil(2 tbsp) in large pan/dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook/sweat until translucent(approx 5 minutes).

Add and cook turkey until done. Add dried spices(oregano/fennel) and let simmer with the meat/onion mixture for a minute or two.

Then, add tomatos, tomato paste, basil, parsley. Then, salt and pepper to taste. Top with a lid and let simmer for 1/2 hour or more on lowest burner setting. Always best if it's an hour or more! :)

Top w/fresh grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

No comments: