Thursday, March 13, 2008

Book Rec: Alice Waters & Chez Panisse

I've been travelling a bit lately and that always translates to more reading for me. I'm in the middle of this book, but just wanted to put it out there for my foodies looking for a good read. This book and Alice in general are tremendously inspiring. It's such a wonderful example of what happens in life when you follow your passion and don't get caught up in the stupid, meaningless details :)

I also had to laugh at the part in the book where Julia Child corresponds with Alice about locally grown food-- she recommends Alice just talk with her grocer and he/she will bring in the food she wanted. She was so stern and brusque! Just goes to show that even heroes are human- LOL!

I would also recommend catching the Alice Waters & Mikhail Baryshnikov Iconoclasts show on the Sundance channel if you can. Fascinating!

2 comments:

Elly said...

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this book for a while, and now that I'm reading Comfort Me with Apples, I was reminded of it again (Reichl mentions Waters a few times).

That Girl said...

When I went on college tours with my mom, she insisted we eat at Chez Panisse while we were in Berkley. I can still taste the creme brulee!