Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall cometh........

........the temperature declines into the 60's and the rain softly patters on rooftops here in Central VA, my thoughts turn to what else? Tomato Soup! And grilled cheese!

I also have to share that I love using up odds and ends of pantry stores. I get a weird sense of accomplishment from doing this. I enjoy challenging myself to see how much leftover crap I can get into a dish that's still edible.

Also, hubs is sick and tomato soup is his fav. Turns out, this meal is a win-win for us both ;)


B's Tomato Soup
Serves 2

2 large, ripe tomatos (I had Hanover)
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
2 tspn tomato paste
1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 small onion, chopped (or half a medium)
1 small stalk celery, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
Sour Cream

*Chive for garnish, optional

Quarter and seed the tomatos. Throw everything except the sour cream in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cut to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. It's at this pt. the tomato skins loosen and you should be able to easily extract them with a set of tongs. (wouldn't hurt if you left them in either, it's a personal choice).

Once soup is done simmering, I hit it with a stick blender. If you don't have one, a regular blender would be fine. Just make sure to take the middle portion out of the lid to vent the hot liquid!

Ladle up the soup and hit it with a dollop of sour cream (although creme fraiche would be lovely if you have some, but if you'll recall, I'm trying to use up leftovers. So, sour cream it is!)

Serve w/a nice buttery grilled cheese (we like Irish Cheddar) and Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I love tomato soup and grilled cheese!