Monday, November 2, 2009

Lulu's


If you haven't been to The Bottom in a while, Lulu's will make it worth your while. My girls took me here as a birthday surprise last Saturday. They all knew I hadn't tried it yet and had been dying to go.

Having a reservation w/a larger party (6+) is advisable. Typically it will score you a quiet(er) table in a more private section in back. Note- they do not take reservations past 7 pm, it then becomes first come, first serve. Also, make sure to bring $5 cash for parking in case the streets are full.

Our table of 7 opted for a wide variety from the menu including:
  • Perciatelli Pasta with mushrooms and hot Italian sausage, ricotta marinara, and toasted points
  • A Rockfish special that included an insanely good basil cream sauce
  • Grilled Angus Beef Loin w/ mashed potatoes and vegetable du jour in a mushroom demi-glace
  • Orechiette Pasta with lump crab, tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, and roasted garlic in parmesan cream sauce
  • Pan Fried Cornmeal Crusted Carolina Trout stuffed with dirty rice, and tasso ham gravy

I tried a taste of everyone's dish except for the orechiette (shellfish allergy) and enjoyed it all. Alas, it was my own trout meal I did not find palatable since it was over salted.

I'm generally not one to complain or send things back. I will give a restaurant a few tries before forming my opinion or assuming anything negative. Everyone has a bad day or one bad plate. It happens! And I don't consider it to be the end of the world. But, I might sit a pout. Just a little.

Our generously patient and observant waiter actually noticed that I had barely touched my fish and I reluctantly confessed to not enjoying the over seasoning. He offered to bring me something else, but I told him it was not necessary. The owner took it upon himself to personally come talk to me (charming, lovely man) and took the fish off of the bill.

That, my friends, is how a restaurant should be run. Someone was paying attention and actually cared. Because of this, I definitely will be back. And also for the hope that they will be serving that rockfish special again. Did I say it was insanely good? Because I meant it was cuckoo, bananas, spinning in circles delicious.

Dessert was the best- a spicy, satisfying pumpkin creme brulee served in a mini pumpkin w/a candle. (creme brulee is typically served in a traditional ramekin).

Lulu's- you have got it goin' on! Thanks for making my bday special. :)

Lulu's
http://www.lu-lusrichmond.com/
21 N 17th St
Richmond, VA 23219-3607
(804) 343-9771

No comments: