Sunday, November 1, 2009

Demi Glace -


Lately I've been playing around with the joy and gift to (wo)mankind that is demi-glace. I've added it to beef stew, shepherd's pie and just about anything requiring a viscous, beefy base.

Tonite, I had 2 marvelous filet mignons on hand that I had picked up from Tom Leonard's. For filets, I usually massage w/olive oil, season, sear on the stove top, finish in the oven and call it a day (3 min. on med-high heat per side, 8 min. in oven at 375 for medium/med-rare).

As a steak purist, I generally believe that a great piece of meat is paid no higher compliment or is enjoyed more thoroughly than to stand on it's own with help only from a little seasoning. However, tonite I felt the urge to throw together a sauce for the steak b/c I have beef demi glace lurking in my fridge just begging to be used.

After perusing the internets, I sort of threw together what appealed to me. It worked out, thus I want to pass it along to you because it's worth trying. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

B's Steak Sauce-
1 medium shallot, minced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 c. red wine (I prefer pinot noir or whatever you're drinking w/your steak)
Fresh cracked pepper (telicherry)
1/4 c. beef demi glace
3/4 c. warm water

Mix demi glace and water until well combined, set aside.

In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of butter, add shallot and cook for 1-2 minutes or until translucent. Add wine and reduce until wine is very thick, dark and almost gone. Add demi-glace mixture and simmer over low heat until sauce becomes more of a thickened gravy (coats a spoon). Add cracked pepper to taste and finish sauce with last tablespoon of butter.

No comments: