Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's Chili Time again, folks!

I get so excited for Fall, b/c that means I get to bust out my soup and chili repetoire. Today, I've made my first batch of chili for the season and I have to say it's my tastiest one yet! I never make the same chili twice and this one's a little more en fuego than I normally make (per hubs tastebuds' request). So, this recipe should hopefully make you heat seekers happy. Simultaneously, I think it's pretty flavorful. The smell alone makes my mouth water.
I hope you get to make and enjoy this!


B's Bohemia Chili


Olive Oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
1 lb ground chicken
3/4 bottle of Bohemia beer
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Dried Oregano
Chipotle Chili Powder
Chili Powder
Powdered Garlic
2 Poblano peppers- roasted, seeded and finely chopped
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatos w/jalapeno
2 28 oz cans of plum tomato puree
5-6 cans beans of your choice (I used white & red kidney as well as pinto), drained and rinsed
1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 c. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Turn on broiler and blister 2 poblano peppers (about 6-7 minutes per side). Once roasted, put the peppers in a small bowl covered with plastic wrap. When cool enough to handle(approx 10-15 minutes), skin, seed and chop finely.

Meanwhile, heat a dutch oven w/a little olive oil in it over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and jalapeno sweating for approx. 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Crank the heat to med-high and then add chicken along with half of the amount of spices you intend to use.

I don't give exact measurements for the spices b/c everyone's tastes are different. I will tell you that to start I use a palm full of chili powder, 1/2 palm of garlic powder, 1/2 palm of chipotle(this has A LOT of kick!), 1/3 palm of smoked paprika and a hearty pinch of oregano.

Once the chicken is cooked through, I add the 3/4 bottle of Bohemia and tomato paste. I let it simmer until it becomes like a thick gravy surrounding the chicken, approx 10 minutes.

Transfer chicken mixture to a crockpot and add the other half of your seasoning, poblanos, tomatos, beans, chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with corn bread! (this particular day, I made cheddar, scallion corn muffins, mmmmmm........)

2 comments:

That Girl said...

Thank goodness for chili season!

Cara said...

what lovely spices you have! sounds delish :)