Sunday, January 10, 2010

Energy Bars


Here's a little known fact about me- I studied nutrition* in college. There, I said it, my secret is out- I actually know how to eat "right." And at the beginning of every year, my inner nutritionist urges me to try and eat more moderately, mindfully and healthfully. Which is a tall order b/c my outer hedonist insists on fun, full-flavored eats.

Thus, my perpetual task (read: struggle) is to balance out satisfaction with smarts. These energy bars from Ellie Krieger really help do the trick. I subbed alot per my personal tastes & health considerations, but you'll notice I listed her original ingredients below if you would like to try that first. I try not to have to spend an exorbitant amount and stay within the resources of my local Kroger. I would also like to mention that this mixture just barely fit in my 7 cup food processor.

These are great for that 3pm lull where you need a pick me up. According to Ellie's nutritional count, these should make 24 bars out of a 13x9 pan and contain 133 calories per bar. Mine are prob. around 150 cal's a piece according to my math. (which is always questionable ;) ).

They keep for 3 days in an airtight container or 3 mo's frozen (wrapped individually).

* NOTE- I am not a licensed nutritionist and will never be dispensing that sort of advice on this site! ;)


Energy Bars
adapted from an Ellie Krieger recipe


Cooking Spray
1 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 c. shelled, unsalted raw sunflower seeds (I used toasted soy nuts)
1/2 c. toasted wheat germ (I used toasted flax seed)
1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 c. dried apricots
1/2 c. raisins (I used dried cherries)
1/2 c. pitted dried dates (I used dried mission figs)
1/2 c. raw almonds (I used mixed nuts that I had on hand)
1/2 c. nonfat dry milk
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
1/3 c. pure maple syrup
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350, coat a 9x13" pan w/cooking spray, set aside.

Place all ingredients except maple syrup and eggs, in a food processor and pulse until everything is finely chopped. Add syrup & eggs and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse paste.

Transfer to baking dish and spread evenly to cover bottom. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then cut into 24 bars.

2 comments:

elly said...

I love these SO much. I make them all the time with whatever nuts/dried fruits we have around and will sometimes add spices to make them a little different, too. So versatile.

Beverly said...

Those look SO yummy B! My outer hedonist would be thinking.. hmmm, they will go bad in 3 days... better eat them ALL before then, don't want to waste anything - LOL!
TFS!