Saturday, December 19, 2009

Soft Center Chocolate Cakes


I was the fortunate recipient of a Ghirardelli gift box this Christmas. And as such, felt it my honor bound duty to test the recipes and chocolate sent to me. Thus, on this snowy, homebound evening, I found myself delving into a flourless chocolate cake recipe of sorts.











I must say, not being a baker, this was fun to make! Esp. when my end result flopped out onto the plate without much finesse in a pile of airy fudge. Guess I'll just have to try again! Poor me!


It may not turn out as pretty on the plate as the pics in the Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook, but no matter. It's definitely a chocolate lover's (read: my) Christmas Chocolate Dream come true- SO good!

Soft Center Chocolate Cakes


1.2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken up or in melting chips
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 tspn vanilla
1 tbsp cake flour

Optional: Berries and/or whipped cream

Preheat oven to 450. Butter four 6 oz ramekins and dust with sugar(I recommend caster/super-fine sugar).

Melt stick of butter and chocolate over double boiler until smooth.

Meanwhile, whip whole eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla w/an electric mixer for approx. 10 minutes (it will thicken). Fold in melted chocolate, then flour until just combined. Spoon mixture into prepared ramekins.

Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the top and sides are set. The center will be quite soft. Removed from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes, then unmold each ramekin onto a dessert plate. Top w/berries and/or whipped cream if desired.

*B Tip - you can freeze these easily (take out of ramekin) and reheat them for 10-15 seconds in the microwave directly from the freezer. Like fresh out of the oven!

No comments: