Monday, June 22, 2009

Avoiding Chardonnay no more!

A lot of folks classify themselves as either red or white wine lovers. I'd like to think I'm an equal opportunity wine lover, but I do tend more toward the bold reds. So, I've challenged myself this summer to extend my white wine tasting beyond my beloved cheap & dry Andres champagne that goes into my mimosa's. (To wit, I always say, I should just hit myself over the head w/the Andres bottle b/c that's exactly how I feel after I drink it! LOL!)

I think I shy away from whites in general b/c I'm not a fan of sweet. In my perception, generally restaurants offer whites that for the most part tend on the sweeter side. At the other end of the spectrum, you have the dry chardonnay's that generally do not jibe w/my palate. The oaky acridness is a big turn off for me> not to mention I generally end up with a migraine for some reason?
Enter Cono Sur, a Chilean organic Chard that I mistook for a dryer reisling upon my first tasting. I have Grey Bear co-owner, Lindsey W-W. to thank for this discovery! She has quite a few beautiful "summer" whites up her sleeve. You should take the gorgeously green drive out to GB to check them out. Esp. since their new outdoor patio has been officially installed w/a generous amount of seating.
Thanks Lindz!

Disclaimer: I know the folks that own GB, so my judgement is def. biased. But, I will tell you that their Sunday brunch is mouth-wateringly delicious. This Sunday I had the biscuits and gravy. Hit the spot! Moist crumbly biscuits smothered in a spicy sausage gravy.
Also love that their fruit salad is ripe and generous on the plate, not a "throw away" garnish. Helps cut the heaviness between the B&G and fried, spiced new potatoes. Topped off w/a Pomegranate Mimosa(or Greyhound!), it's the perfect Sunday brunch!

3 comments:

Belly Out said...

I am glad you are not turning your back on Chardonnay. It is responsible for some of the best wines of the world. Meursault, Chablis, Puligny-Montrachet, not to be confused with California wine. What is so great about old-world chardonnay is how it reflects the soil and climate as opposed to making a wine to reflect its varietal. Of course a lot of these Burgundian wines can be expensive but look to southern Burgundy in the Maconais for great value. You won't find oak bombs there, but lean, flinty, refreshingly clean sippers that go great with all kinds of food. Also look to Italy and Friuli for some real dramatic Chardonnays. Big, firm ,creamy wines that are great with pork dishes. Those headaches you get from oaky wines are from drinking industrially made fake wines. Many cheap wines you find are made with added acids, tannin, oak chips and saw mill waste, added sugars, factory prepared yeasts. Oak barrels cost around $500 a piece and to impart that oaky flavor onto a wine it is also going to up the cost. So be suspiscious of oaky wine that costs less then $20.

bellalately said...

Thanks Belly Out :) Great info.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Now you have given me two new things to try. I tend not to be a charonnay girl either and I have never been to Grey Bear, but I did got to the site and check out the menu.

Thanks for the peach balsamic recipe, sound terrific!